Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Learning

The second round of Korean classes are starting up soon and I signed up again. I know that it would be good for me to improve my Korean, but I was very reluctant to take the class again because the university is SO far away from my apartment. It takes about an hour to get there and an hour back by bus. Two buses. I have to transfer. I never get a seat on the dreaded 26 bus. NEVER! So I have to stand for a long time with other bodies pressed up against me. I don't like that! Not on a bus, at least. Also, the classes are in the evening, after a full day at work; it will be very tiring! Then, I was reminded that it's going to be winter time. Oh great. I'm gonna be freezing my booty off! I'm from California! I don't know this thing called snow, unless I'm going to the snow on purpose. I'm not prepared! I'm really scared for the winter time! I hope it's not too harsh. If it is, I may just have to skip a few classes...but I do wanna learn Korean! So it should be worth the trip...for the next 12 weeks. 2x per week..

Learning is fun! I've learned quite a bit about myself since I've been here, but I think that my being here has actually only confirmed what I already knew. For instance, I knew that I can easily let go of people, whether it's because they did me wrong or lack of communication or whatever. But since I've been here, I've realized that I can VERY VERY EASILY detach myself. I can just let go of all that I had before and start all over again. I don't have many attachments; the only ones I have are to my family and that's about it. The only attachments that I can't easily let go of. I think this is just part of my personality, how I've been raised. I don't have any sentimental possessions from my childhood, with the exception of a baby blanket. My mom always made me throw away things. I actually don't have very many possessions to begin with. Living in a single parent household has also made me accepting of "abandonment" for lack of a less harsh term, or maybe it's the UNaccepting of abandonment. I suppose it's a sort of defense mechanism, my being able to disengage before the possibility of being abandoned. It's not to say that these people or things don't matter to me or are insignificant in my life. I still enjoy and love these things, it's just that I would be OK if I didn't have these things, or at least I imagine myself to be. It may not seem like the best way to live, but I think this is actually beneficial to the kind of transient lifestyle that I desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment