Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

My first trip to Busan!

This past weekend, I went to Busan with Jarrod, Sonia, Okailey, Maggie, and Laurence. It was, obviously, my first trip there and I was not too thrilled about it before the trip because I had incessantly tried to search for a place to stay when we got there. I am usually not the type to take a trip and not have a reservation for a place to stay. The day before we left, I finally reserved a place with the help of my co-teachers. I was just ready to go to Busan, drink until I was wasted and just let go of all that stress that I had collected in preparation for the trip.

The bus ride didn't feel too long and we arrived around 130pm, I think. We headed towards the subway and we were in line buying our tickets. Laurence started talking to some lady in line and she told us that she was going to stay in a motel, like she usually does because they are ultra cheap. We decided to follow her and check out where she was gonna stay to see if it would be cheaper than the place I had booked. We walked and walked and walked trying to find a motel to stay in that wasn't too overpriced. After about an hour, we found a place (after having split up into two groups to cover more ground). During this hour, I picked up another girl who was alone and searching for a place to stay in as well. Her name was Lauren; it turns out that this trip was her mini vacation alone since her boyfriend was working. I ended up really really liking her! She was super cool and sarcastic! She ended up staying with us so we had 8 people in our group, 2 rooms. We thought we booked the rooms for 2 nights, but apparently we had only booked one. Probably miscommunication, so we had to book a second night and pay more. The price was too good to be true for two nights, I guess. We paid less than $20 for what we thought was 2 nights, but in the end, we paid about $40 each, which is REALLY good.


Anyways, after we dropped off our stuff at the LOVE MOTEL (yes, a motel for LOVE! ;)), we went to the famous Haeundae Beach! Thank goodness we did because it was the only day where we had sunshine and no rain. The beach was really tiny, but it was nice. The water was freezing cold, but I managed to stand in the water for a long time. It was a gorgeous site. That night, Maggie, Lauren, Laurence, and I went to the Westin Chosun Hotel at the end of the beach because Maggie wanted to go to an Irish pub she had read about in her travel book. We ended up not going there, but had a drink outside of that area (but still inside the hotel) where there was a pianist and violinist. We sat there to listen to some tunes, but it put me to sleep, almost.


So we left to go back to meet up with the others at the motel. We got ready to go out to some clubs! The first club was interesting. Not crowded at all, but there was a person dressed as one of those Asian cats, those white ones with the swinging arm usually found in Asian restaurants. He was just dancing around the club. Strange. The next place we went to was a bit better than the first. There were more people and it was just more fun. My friend (who shall remain nameless) got her some men, and some numbers. Ooh la la. She's got some game! hahah Overall, I had a great first night in Busan!



The next day, Maggie, Laurence, and I went to Jagalchi Market, which is one of Busan's famous landmarks. It was POURING rain and I had an umbrella that I found on the floor. Obviously it was broken and had some leakage problems, so I still got wet despite my holding the umbrella over my head. It was horrible, but I couldn't complain. It was quite an experience. So, Jagalchi Market is a fish market and you can also eat there. I really wanted to eat there...so we did. How can you go to a fish market and not eat there? We ended up getting a fish and they killed it on the spot. It was gruesome. I couldn't watch, but I kinda did. It was bloody. That was horrific, but I love going to fish markets. I don't know why. Maybe it's the dirtiness. I just love it. I reckon that this fish market was better than Sydney Fish Market in Australia. I don't know the basis of this judgment, except for that's just how I feel.






















Maggie and I ate these worm looking things! They were still ALIIIIIIVE!!! Eeeek! It didn't taste nasty or anything, but it was slimy. My co-teacher told me it's a sort of worm. I didn't know what it was beforehand, but we were calling them penises, but these were the baby penises. There are bigger, adult ones.

After Jagalchi Market, we headed back to the love motel and got ready to go out that night. We met up with Sonia&Jarrod's South African friends. They are a crazy bunch of girls, but they were really sweet and fun.


We went to a bar/restaurant called Eva's and then after that, apparently, we went to a club called Foxy. Danced a little bit and then headed over to another place called GHETTO. It was packed, but a lot of fun because I got to dance my booty off! I got REALLY tired around 4 or 5? I don't remember the time and I wanted to go home. Jarrod said that we could wait until 6 for the first subway home or we could pay a ridiculous amount for the taxi. I opted for the subway because I didn't have any money. We stayed at the club and I wanted to sleep, so I did. In the club. I put my head down and the next thing I know, Jarrod was tapping me to get up so we could leave. Yeay! Too bad it was only about 5am. One more hour until the subway opens up. We just stood outside the club area and I just hugged this guy we had met about an hour or two earlier. I hugged him until it was time to walk to the subway. I needed support for standing. I had a lot to drink that night. The first night I actually drank to the point of drunkenness. Thank goodness it wasn't the vomit-inducing drunkenness. Jarrod did a good job taking care of me and feeding me my favorite food, kimbab! Thanks, Jarrod! :) Finally got to the love motel and slept. We got woken up at 11am by an annoying alarm that filled the room. I woke up and was still drunk! I couldn't even remember who was in the room with me.

The last day we were in Busan, we went to a jimjilbang to sweat out all of the craziness that ensued the days prior. I was laying in the hot sauna for about 10 minutes and I was not sweating. I waited and waited. Not a drop. I told Okailey that I wasn't sweating! Then she asked me, "Are you that dehydrated?" and then it hit me. I AM! So I went outside and drank tons of water, went back into the hot room and started sweating. Phew! I'm not a freak without sweat glands! I love jimjilbangs! They're so relaxing. This time, I actually showered with all the other naked ladies! It wasn't too bad. I found my little corner and quickly washed myself. haha

After the jimjilbang, we went to the largest mall (in Korea? or in the world?) in Centum City. It's HUGE! There's an INCREDIBLE food court. Omigosh. I fell in love. I want to eat there for the rest of my life. They had EVERYTHING. We didn't stay there long because it was off to the bus station to go back home to Gwangju!

Fun times! The weekend was AMAZING and I can't wait to go back for some more exciting adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment