Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Just another weekend.

After my Saturday Sports Day, I met up with Maggie and Wil in Downtown. My co-teachers make fun of me for going to Downtown so often, but I tell them there's nowhere else for me to go! Anyways, our plan was to go to a DVD 방 (bang) to watch a movie. A DVD bang is a room where you rent a DVD and just watch it in a room with your friends. I heard it was a dodgy place, but I still wanted to go...but I was a bit wary now. We first had dinner at The First Alleyway. It's a restaurant in an alleyway, yup, and it's owned by a foreigner who has been in Korea for over a decade. I had a falafel in pita with a side of onion rings and garlic sauce.



OMIGOSH, it was such a nice break from Korean food. I love Korean food, but it was sooo nice to have something that wasn't Korean. After that, we walked a bit to digest our food and I was looking into some headbands for my new haircut. As I was browsing, I felt someone put their hand on my shoulder in an abrupt manner. It freaked me out, I turned around and it was good ol' Laurence. He was with Julian and John. Haven't seen them in a while! They were a bit tipsy and were on their way to dinner. We caught up for a short time and then split ways with plans to meet later on that night. Then Maggie, Wil, and I tried to find the DVD bang that I really wanted to check out because I had walked by it a previous night and they had really nice pictures of the rooms. We could not find the place! We did see an arcade, so we were in there for some time playing games. It was really fun!!




So we went to this creepy looking one that we had passed by earlier that night. We went in, tried to agree on a movie, and ended up picking "Burn After Reading". Brad Pitt is hilarious in that movie! During the movie, Laurence was calling me to find where we were. It's kinda hard when you're tipsy and am not too familiar with the area. Lots of directions were given and somehow, he miraculously found us! He joined us in the DVD bang, but he fell asleep. The movie was done and the conscious ones decides to continue the night and have some drinks. Laurence said he wanted to go to Ethnic Cafe, so we did. We go and ended up falling asleep, while the rest of us had a fabulous conversation.






On Sunday, I met up with Laurence to go to the river that runs through Gwangju. I've been wanting to go for the past month or so, and I finally made it! It was really nice and it made me want to buy a bike even more just so I could bike along the river. We didn't see too much of the river, at least not the nice part. We ventured off onto an unbeaten path and ended up having to walk back because it led us nowhere. Laurence even saw a rat! Ugh. We walked back and then walked down the regular path and saw some people fishing. The river looked quite disgusting to be fishing from it. There was also a living room type area with a bunch of discarded sofas, still in good condition of course. Nice place to take a rest.



After that, we went to U-Square to try to buy tickets for 3-day weekend trip to Busan, but we saw that there are two terminals in Busan and ended up not buying them until we do some research. After our fail, we took the bus to the World Cup Stadium because we were meeting with some people for dinner. It was the Gwangju vegetarian group's monthly dinner. We went to a restaurant that I had already gone to twice. I don't like going to the same place multiple times, but the food is really good.

So today (Monday), my alarm woke me up at 730am. I have to be at school by 830, so I decided to set my phone alarm to wake me up at 745 instead. I ended up waking up at 8 because, of course, my phone alarm was set to 745pm. I rushed to get to school and even dressed in nice work clothing. I walked to the school and there were NO students. I knew they were going on a 3-day trip, but I thought they were going to meet at school and then depart from there, but nope. No one. There wasn't the usual man to greet me at the gate. Nobody. It was sad. I got there on time though, right on the dot. There were almost no teachers in the teacher's room. I proceeded to take my laptop out to do some research on Busan. Three hours into the work day, my co-teacher asks me if I have plans for the day. I say no. Why would I? I'm at work, and it's a Monday. She asks me to lunch and I agree. She tells me to pick the menu: eel or nakji (octopus). I ask if the nakji would be live and they said no, so I picked eel because I want to eat live nakji! So we left school at noon and I asked if we were gonna go back to school and they said no. I was like, "We have a half day?!" and they said "yes!" I was happy, needless to say. The lunch was ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. It's like 삼겹살(Samgyeopsal) style, but it's SOO much better. Delicious.



Then we went to Downtown, haha. I told them all the cheap places to shop and they were like, "Wow, are you sure you're not a Gwangju person? You know all the shops!" Well, yes, I come here every weekend, but I'm definitely not an expert. I bought some new clothes as well. Oh! It was very strange - we went into a store called Timing and I wanted to try on a couple items. There was a changing room with a curtain that looked like three separate changing rooms except it was only one. Someone was in there, so I waited. Later on, I went in and tried it on and someone came in and started trying on their clothes too! I was like, Uh...ok. It was SO strange! Korean people are supposed to be conservative and modest, but to have a communal fitting room? That's just opposite!

Anyhoo, I have half days tomorrow and Wednesday as well! Yeay!! :) Looking forward to Korean class tomorrow night. Even though it's raining right now, this is gonna be a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment