Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

FEBRUARY

major rewind part II



I never wrote about winter, did I? Well, it snows a bunch in Korea! Leading up to these snowy days, I was so anxious about it. I've never lived anywhere where it snows on a regular basis (I remember it snowed in LA once for 5 minutes but it melted as soon as it hit the ground). I didn't know what to do, how to prepare - what kinda clothes do you wear? Do you wear special pants? How many layers?? Do I carry an umbrella? So many questions and many purchases later, I was so prepared for the snow! I ended up really liking it except for the wearing-so-many-clothes part. I'm from LA - all I wanna wear is a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals, but during winter, I had to wear leggings, pants, socks, boots, many layers of shirts (long-sleeved!), a coat, a scarf, and a hat. Way tooo much!! The worst part is when the fluffy snow becomes ice. It becomes so dangerous to walk on. However, I survived and never once did I fall. Many times I slid and almost fell, but I always stayed on my feet. That's quite an accomplishment, in my opinion!


What did I do in February??







Okailey and I took a day trip to Mokpo! I had never been to Mokpo before, so we decided on a whim to go. We went to the Natural History Museum and to Gatbawi (some rocks that are said to look like different things...a father and son, 2 woman, etc etc). We finished our day by getting some BBQ!


I went back to America for a week for my sister's wedding. It was the most beautiful wedding ever, and that's just my unbiased opinion. My sister looked stunning in her gown and everything seemed to go so smoothly. The wedding party had to do a little dance too. Surprisingly, I wasn't nervous. For my sister and new bro-in-law's first dance, they did a normal slow dance to a Michael Buble song and then in the middle of the song, it scratched to Usher's "DJ Got Us Falling In Love" and they did a little hip hop routine choreographed by yours truly. It was so good!



I celebrated my 24th birthday with some friends. It was a relaxed night. Had galbi at the famous outdoor galbi restaurant in Downtown, went to Soul Train, and Bubble Bar. Bubble Bar was empty, so it was actually tolerable to be in there. In the photos, you can see I'm wearing a pink tiara. This is the birthday tiara that is passed on from bday girl/boy to the next!



Sonia and I finally went to the 5.18 Cemetery. On May 18, 1980, there was an uprising in Gwangju to defend democracy against the government. Many people were hurt or injured in these protests.




Sonia and I went to the Trick Art exhibition at the Kim Daejung Convention Center in Sangmu-dong. There were lots of cool works there! I even ran into a couple of my students also enjoying the fun artwork.





My 3rd graders graduated :( Onto high school where they will forget about me. They already have :`(





February is my favorite month. Too bad it's the shortest.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking about winter kinda worries me...I'll be experiencing my first "real" winter this year!

    ReplyDelete