Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

I've got my head and my heart on the dance floor

Today was orientation, which was held at the research center. Okailey and I taxi-ed over there and were 5 minutes early. I met some new teachers before the orientation began. A couple from England, a couple from the states. But anyways, the orientation mostly consisted of paperwork stuff for our Alien Registration Cards and bank accounts and such. Then here was talk about the trash system, how to use a washing machine&water heater, travel, and general life in Korea. The talk was rather short, so most of the time, the teachers got to mingle and eat candy.

We had planned to go to the light show afterward, which was to begin at 6:30pm. We ended orientation at around 4:30, so we had time to kill. What to do? Drink some Soju and maekchu of course! We went to a restaurant and we got our own private room which had a very rosey wall paper. Rosey as in it had huge red roses against a black background. I liked it! but it wasn’t very popular among the others. Our room was kinda tiny for the 12 of us, but we made it work. It was SUPER fun! I had enough alcohol in me where I was feeling good, but not drunk. The best kind of buzz. After we left that place, we lost one of our group, Maggie! I love that girl. We searched far and wide for her but she was long gone. I was really sad; she’s my drinking buddy and she’s such great company.

After that, we ended up going to another restaurant to drink some more. I didn’t have any though. I was done with the drinking. I did have some fried chicken though! I had read yesterday on a blog that Koreans do SOME things right and one of them would be fried chicken. I had to give it a try. It was SUPER DELICIOUS. Wow. Definitely better than American fried chicken. The sauces that came with it are great – a mustardy one and a sweet one. So good.

While at this place, of course, we miss the light show. Oh well. What to do next? Noraebang!!! We go to the nearest one and were taken to a room. I settled down quickly at the comfy booth and the employees told us that if any of the guys want a lady’s company, they would come…. I’m sure the guys wanted that, but we declined and were led to a DIFFERENT room. I guess they have special rooms for these types of things. =/ So we go to another room, which is just as big and we get started with some more drinks and now some songs! It was great! Noraebangs are so much with soo many people..crazy people. People surprise you with their personalities at noraebangs. I surprised myself! I scored 100 (of 100) for my rendition of “Telephone” by Beyonce & Lady Gaga with the help of Okailey, she being Beyonce and me being Lady Gaga. haha We were the only ones to get a perfect score! While at the noraebang, a few people were starting to feel the effects of alcohol and HAD TO leave, so our party was getting smaller and smaller. At the end of our stay at the noraebang, some people were tired and went home.

Some of us crazy folk decided to stay out. We had a new person in our group who had been in Gwangju for a month already, so he took us to all the hip foreigner spots. We went to the Speakeasy and some people had a beer or two. There, we lost three more of our group leaving us with 4 people. We then went to Soul Train and met up with some other English teachers. At this point, it was about half past midnight and we had started drinking at 430, so I was pretty pooped. I was really tired and wanted to go home, but our new friend told us about this other place called the Bubble Bar, which was just across the street. he described it as a place where people dance. I love dancing, so this made me perk up a bit. I said I would check it out for a little bit and go home. Okailey was with me and she said she wanted to see it too cuz she also likes to dance. However, the other 2 in our party were not finished with their beer, so we just left them and went to the Bubble Bar ourselves. It was cool; people dancing and all, but it was tiny! When we got there, we had spotted some of the people that we had just met at the previous place, so we chatted a little. We stayed for about 15 minutes and then Okailey and I left to go back to my place. She picked up her stuff and went home. It was about 2am…I told her to just sleep over, but she insisted! I would see her tomorrow anyway because the group had decided to meet up to go to the cherry blossom festival. We said to meet at 1:30pm…yes, I get to sleep in!! Looking forward to cherry blossoms tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment