Pages

Friday, April 2, 2010

First day on the job

Today was my first day at Hyokwang Middle School. I was so nervous even though I was prepared with my powerpoint all about me. As soon as I stepped into the front of the class, it was quite overwhelming but my nervousness went away. They're just a bunch of girls (at least today) and I am their superior. I shouldn't feel so weak. I went about my presentation and I think it was received well. It didn't seem too boring for them. I got them up and out of their seats and let them roam around because we played 4 corners. You guys remember that game when we were in elementary school? I thought it would be a good way to get their blood flowing and semi-interested in what I had to say about me. Wonderful little ol' me. I introduced myself to 3 classes today. My powerpoint was nowhere to be found on my laptop during the second class, so I had to go impromptu with the chalkboard. It still went rather smoothly, I hope! I'm not sure. I felt alright, but it may not be what the others perceived. Most of the time, the students didn't even understand me! They say I speak too fast. It's really hard to talk slowly, but I'll have to try. Some of the students are really good with English while others can't even spell their names. I'm really excited though. I have 4 after school classes a week including today (Thursday), but I don't have to go today, so I start tomorrow. I'll be teaching these classes sans co-teachers, so that should be a challenge. However, the number of students in these classes are smaller - 20 students compared to 40 students in the regular classes. The students are a rowdy bunch, but I feel good. These students go to school from really early to really late. It's really ridiculous how hardworking these kids are, so I'm gonna try to be more compassionate and nice to them whilst also being stern.

Another thing! We wear slippers to teach. Is that not the weirdest thing ever? Women on the street are always fashionable with their heels and then when they arrive to work, they take off those shoes and put on slippers. I feel professional from the ankles up and then sloppy from the ankles down. It's really funny. And you have to always remember to wear socks!

On another note, there are always students coming in and out of the teacher's room especially between classes. Right now, they are cleaning the place - mopping, sweeping, taking out the trash. There is a designated period where the students clean because the school does not hire any custodians, and I guess this teaches them to help in their house too. Korean houses are very clean! You have to wear sandals (with socks!). There are outside shoes, home sandals, bathroom sandals. When I first arrived at my apartment, everyone had their shoes off but me. I realized this after a few minutes so I went to take off my shoes, but I didn't have any socks on. I thought this would be ok because the owner of the complex also didn't have any socks, but one of them said, "Oh! You have to wear socks!!!" So I went to put on some hot pink socks with my black shoes.

My first day at work hasn't ended (I have to wait til 430 to leave even though I finished with classes already), but it's been great so far! Some students have been saying hi to me in the teacher's room. It's really cute. Also, at the end of one of my classes, a student said, "I love you" to me. Wow, that was fast. I don't know if I'm ready for such an emotion. I've only known you for 35 minutes! But I'll get there! Can't wait til the weekend to celebrate with my fellow English speakers!

1 comment:

  1. I loved playing 4 corners back in the day!

    And believe me, I know what you're talking about with the whole slipper thing. I was only in Japan for a week, but that was hard to adjust to!

    I was playing with my high school band at a middle school there, and it felt strange to be wearing an all black suit and tie with green slippers. ::shrugs::

    ReplyDelete