Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Koreans and Kimchi


If you've ever been to Korea (and you are a foreigner), chances are that you have been asked, "Do you like kimchi?" Korea is known for their kimchi. That is their national food. All Koreans must like kimchi, right? During the couple months that I've been eating lunch in the school cafeteria, I've noticed that all the other teachers would always put kimchi on their tray. Always. Even if it's just one slice of cabbage. I have also noticed that at the end of their meal, they haven't taken one bite out of that kimchi. They just throw it out! My hypothesis is that Koreans don't really like kimchi at all. Younger kids would say, "I don't like kimchi" but that's just their youth speaking. Koreans are all about saving face. How could a Korean NOT like kimchi? They must say that they like it even if they don't. As for me, I am not a big fan of cabbage kimchi, but I love radish kimchi and sesame leaf kimchi!

No comments:

Post a Comment