Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Annyeonghi kyeseyo Seoul, Annyeong Gwangju

Annyeong everybody!! Yesterday was my last day at the institute and it was bittersweet. Some of the people that I have met during orientation are teaching in other provinces while I will be in Gwangju, but thankfully, I know quite a few people that are gonna be in the same city! I’m very excited and scared at the same time. I’m sure everybody has felt this way at some point in their life. It’s a crazy feeling. I want to be here so badly, but in the same breath, I don’t because of the uncertainties and failures that await me. But yesterday was the last day in Seoul and we had a closing ceremony and some words from some important people and there was also a cultural differences lecture which I found really interesting because that is one of my many interests. I try to keep in mind that they do things different here so I should do as they do, but I just fall back into my American habits. I hope I haven’t offended anyone too badly by handing them something with my left hand or not bowing/now bowing low enough. Who knows what else I have done that was disrespectful? I’ll adapt in time.

The bus ride to Gwangju was about 4 hours long. I have discovered why there is a stereotype that Asian drivers are horrible. IT'S TRUE! Well, at least in South Korea. I wouldn't say this pertains to ALL Asians in America, but to ALL Asians in South Korea, YES. They're horrible! I don't even know why they have lanes if they don't drive in them. I don't know why they have blinkers if they don't signal when changing "lanes". I don't know why they have mirrors if they don't look to see if there are other cars. But I do know why they have horns - to honk at pedestrians to see if they want a taxi; to tell them to get off the road because the light is green and this is when they decide to follow the rules; to honk at other drivers that happen to be driving worse than they are. It's been raining here as well, so that's another factor to play into their horrible driving. Aiyayai. But anyways, the bus ride was good. The bus was half full and the seats could recline all the way. It was also decorated as if we were on the inside of a genie bottle. It was quite festive. I met a few more Gwangju people that I haven't met before and got chatting with them. We have a good group this year. I'm really excited to get to know all of them.

After we arrived in Gwangju, we went to a research institute where all our co-teachers were waiting for us. The Native English Teachers (NET - that's me!) went to the front of the room and said our names and found our co-teachers who were holding our names up. My co-teacher's name is Jo, Bori. I still haven't called her by her name because I can't say it correctly! She's actually my age; she's about 5 months older than me. The head of the English teachers (I think that's her title) was there to meet me as well. We then went to eat at a vegetarian restaurant which was super duper yummalicious! Then we went to Lotte Mart - I think that would be the equivalent of Walmart? in America - to buy some essentials for my apartment. I felt so pressured to buy the more expensive stuff, but I felt like I couldn't say no because they're older and in Korean culture, if you're younger, older is wiser so you can't challenge them. I spent about 180,000 won, so that's about $170. I'm not really sure. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it is!!! Anyways, after we finished buying all that stuff, I went back to my apartment all by myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment