Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Korea & Relationships

Korean people place SO much importance on relationships. I believe that relationships are also important - relationships with your parents; relationships with your friends; relationships with your co-workers; relationships with your students (in my case), etc. There was one relationship that I did not mention - the romantic relationship. Koreans put so much stress on this. I feel it is probably at the top of their priority list (if they are single). It's quite ridiculous. Not only is this on their list, YOUR relationship status is also on their list. It's actually quite annoying that they believe romantic relationships are THAT important, only because I don't think it's a priority. It's an accoutrement in your life. You don't NEED it. You WANT it.

So, back to why it's annoying/frustrating, especially coming from other females. I feel like they don't understand that they are sufficient without a man. So, this past weekend, I saw my Korean friend and she asked me how I was doing. I told her I was "wonderful"! She said, "Oh really? Are you dating?" Why does that have to be the first thing that comes to mind when I say I'm doing well? Could it possibly be that I finally feel I'm doing well at work? That I've been having fun with my friends? I guess in the Korean perspective, those are just peripheral relationships orbiting around the romance that is the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment