Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Complimentary compliments

I never knew how much a small compliment can go a long way. Or, maybe I did know and I forgot because I haven't been complimented in a looooooong time, at least not by a stranger. I was at the market today with my mom and I saw this guy who noticed me and was kinda looking at me semi-creepily, but only temporarily. He wasn't staring or anything, so that's a plus. He was near me and said, "May I ask what ethnicity you are?" and I said, "Oh, I'm Chinese." Then he said, "Oh, so pretty" and walked off without waiting for a response. It was such a sweet compliment and not creepy at all, as was my first impression of him. This got me thinking about compliments. They are such simple gestures that can make someone's day much brighter and happier. It doesn't take much time or effort and it costs nothing but can bring about such a positive impact. Maybe it's because of the lack of compliments I receive in my daily life that makes this one little compliment such a big deal. I don't know. I remember long ago, I would try to compliment at least one person a day. It really boosts someone's self-esteem, if only just for the day. I think it's worth paying someone a compliment. I told my friend about this semi-creepy man giving me a sweet compliment and I told her that I should get complimented more because I deserve it! Not saying it in a conceited way, I just have high self-esteem! haha My friend agreed that I should get complimented more... and then she complimented me. Something about getting a compliment from a friend ... it's just not the same as getting a compliment from a stranger. I feel that friends compliment you because they are you're friend, they like you, they know you, it's almost as if they HAVE TO compliment you. But with a stranger...they don't really have anything to gain from it, unless they're trying to get into your pants. I mean a TRUE stranger. One that doesn't want to continue any sort of conversation with you after the compliment has left their lips. These compliments are REAL. Maybe I'm just crazy. Compliments from friends can be real too, but I, personally, don't accept it as easily as compliments from strangers. I'm a weird person. :) Everyone should try to compliment a stranger on a regular basis, but only if it is genuine. Don't try to think of a compliment to give to that one person eating that sandwich in that one diner just to give a compliment. Do it because you sincerely mean it. It is great that compliments are complimentary! It's a great deed!

No comments:

Post a Comment